Monday, December 3, 2007

So, I had this idea...

About halfway through the 2006-2007 school year, I started tossing around a crazy idea. Fueled by my lifelong love of diners, I envisioned enthusiastic students at Dover-Sherborn High School working together to create a life-size diorama of a traditional New England diner. I guess you could call it an "art installation." It wouldn't feature working griddles or coffee makers, and it wouldn't even necessarily serve food at all. I see the Arts Diner as a creative nod to these beautiful, yet often rusting gems that dot our roadside. A love letter of sorts.

When I pitched it to the other members of the Arts Department at Dover-Sherborn, the ball truly started rolling. The creative powers of Mrs. Thibeault, Mrs. Grassia-Crenshaw, Mr. Grout, Mr. Sweeney, and myself had been officially secured. Now, it was time to write the grant. The Dover-Sherborn Educational Fund (DSEF) has a reputation for its foresight and generosity, and I feel fortunate that its members recognized something in my proposal. All that accompanied the written proposal was a concept sketch of the Arts Diner as I saw it. I was granted funds to create the Arts Diner during the 2007-2008 school year.

No comments: